Chicagoland & National Muslim and Interfaith Organizations, Publications, and Blogs
Chicagoland Muslim Organizations, Groups, and Events
- Ta'Leef Collective - "Provides the ideal experience for anyone curious to learn about Islam and offers a safe and friendly environment for newcomers and old friends. Our mantra “Come as you are, to Islam as it is” says it all. We don’t discriminate or judge and believe that dialogue, education and fellowship are integral to individual and collective growth.In addition to our Community Care and educational programs we offer a series of training courses and are grateful to lead the increasingly important conversation around community leadership, cultural relevance and overall sustainability."
- IIIE: Physical space providing a space, classes, and 1:1 help to attain basic correct information about Islam and Muslims, and to empower Muslims through education to be points of inspiration drawing others to the beauty and peace of our Merciful Creator. Check out their weekly "Mondays with Mozaffar" discussion, "Rediscovering the Classics" discussion with Ustadh Ubaydullah Evans, and "Evenings with Ustadh Ubaydullah Evans" where he is available at the Reading Room weekly for anyone to drop in and ask Ubaydullah anything about anything: Islamic jurisprudence, theology, hadith, Qur’an, Islamic history, or even just to chat.
- American Islamic College: Accredited physical college that provides students of all backgrounds with a solid liberal arts and sciences education that will include a rigorous academic formation in Islamic Studies, thereby conveying a broad understanding of the historical and global forces that have shaped intellectual debates and interpretations as well as the political and social structures of diverse contemporary Muslim societies.
- Webb Foundations: This organization "seeks to provide facilities and programs that offer guidance and create a spiritually uplifting atmosphere in which the community may prosper within our pluralistic society while maintaining its core beliefs and values." Their highly recommended 2-year Faith Foundations course, led by Omer Mozaffer, can be attended in person or online. This course series provides an excellent foundation for study of the basic Islamic sciences.
- Inner City Muslim Action Network (IMAN) - "IMAN is a community organization that fosters health, wellness and healing in the inner-city by organizing for social change, cultivating the arts and operating a holistic health center."
- Council for the Advancement of Muslim Professionals (CAMP) - Professional networking organization for Muslims. Holds monthly professional meetings with speakers.
- Council of Islamic Organizations of Greater Chicago (CIOGC) - An organization uniting over 50 Chicagoland mosques and Muslim organizations.
- Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) Chicago - The nation’s largest Muslim civil rights and advocacy group.
- One Chicago, One Nation - Brings together Chicagoans of diverse faiths and cultures, with an emphasis on the Muslim community, to get to know each other through addressing local needs.
- Radio Islam - Islamic show from 6-7pm daily at 1450am. Also has Islamic music.
- 'Azan' radio show - Monthly radio show (2nd Sunday of every month from 6-7pm) on 88.7fm WLUW. Azan puts a human face on the faith of Islam and creates a discourse within the Islamic community of Chicago.
- Islamic Horizons Magazine - The flagship publication of ISNA, and the largest distribution of any Muslim American English language magazine - read by a quarter million people.
- Azizah Magazine - A magazine with powerful stories and rich images of Muslim women in North America.
- MB Muslima - A global magazine for Muslim women.
- American Muslims 360 - Articles and radio clips from their radio show.
- Islamic Lyrics (Syed Mehdi) - Contains a comprehensive database of Islamic audio in multiple languages.
- Work Halal - Postings of jobs with an Islamic environment.
- Productive Muslim - This innovative site offers videos and articles that keep the reader connected to their deen, along with practical tips on how make the best of dunya.
- My Halal Kitchen (Yvonne Maffei) - Yvonne Mattei, an expert chef and food journalist, shares recipies for halal food and general cooking and kitchen tips.
National Islamic and Interfaith Organizations
- Islamic Society of North America (ISNA) - Builds bridges of understanding and cooperation within the diversity that is Islam in America, and extends those bridges to include all people of faith within North America.
- Islamic Circle of North America (ICNA) - Focuses on self-development, education, outreach and social services. We find their intro Islam classes can be a bit on the extreme side.
- Interfaith Youth Core (IFYC) - Builds mutual respect and pluralism among young people from different religious traditions by empowering them to work together to serve others.
- Productive Muslim - A website that inspires young Muslims to become productive through Islam & applying the latest productivity techniques. Can also subscribe to their newsletter e-mails for regular posts on being a productive Muslim.
- Hijabtrendz (Mariam Sobh & Nadia Malik) - The Hijabtrendz duo writes by and for Muslim women about deen, fashion, and health.
- Theory of Heart - Posts are convert focused (from the perspective of a convert).
- Side Entrance - Photos from mosques around the world, showcasing women's sacred spaces, in relation to men's spaces.
- Abdullah J Abdullah - Blog featuring articles on film, motion graphics, photography, and general life as a Muslim.
- Dear Little Auntie - Offers advice and humor aimed at solving the problems of young muslim women in everyday life.
- The Wood Turtle - A blog by a Muslim feminist mom, writing from a place of love for her faith and her family.
- Change the Story - A blog dedicated to interfaith dialogue and education about Islam and Muslims.
- Muslimas Oasis - A collaborative blog by and for Muslim (and non muslim) women. The blog's goal and purpose is to post articles and thoughts on issues affecting women around the world from a Muslim womans perspective. To encourage empowerment of Muslim Women (and non muslim women) and to encourage Muslim women to stand up and use their powerful voice and powerful position in society.
- Islam in China (Wang Daiyu) - When we think of Islam, many do not think of China. Islam In China tells a story unlike any other, and fills a considerable void in the history of Islam around the world.
- 30 Mosques (Aman Ali & Bassam Tariq) - Right when we thought they couldn't outdo themselves from last year, they did. In 30 days, Aman and Bassam navigated deeply personal narratives of Muslim American identities and received unparalleled national and international media coverage.